54. Don’t be afraid to link out to authoritative websites in your industry. Yes, you are losing some link juice, but this is a positive sign which tells Google that you aren’t keeping it all for yourself.
You understand the digital world, but we understand digital marketing. We can create your plan, raise awareness, capture and nurture leads by executing an effective marketing strategy.
68. Google evaluates the quality of a site by taking relevance, content quality, compatibility and loading speed into account. If people like your content, engage with it and visit your site regularly, Google will send you more visitors.
According to this study from the Oxford Journal, “The goal of UX design in business is to improve customer satisfaction and loyalty through the utility, ease of use, and pleasure provided in the interaction with a product.” For our purposes, your website is the product. The objective is to first determine a user’s intent, then develop a methodology for smooth navigation—a methodology that evokes a positive emotion and leads to an overall good experience.
Advertisers make use of numerous techniques for effective SEO results and some of them are targeted at developing a database of loyal audience which is a bright part of ethical SEO. White hat SEO is the implementation of strategies, and optimization techniques and tactics that completely follow search engine ethics, but focus on human audience as opposed to search engine movements.
72. Use high quality images for your articles. Yes, they may cost money, but they look much better than the free ones – that’s why you pay for them! In addition to this, few people are using them, so you may also get some website traffic from Google Images and other image search engines.
SEO is not an appropriate strategy for every website, and other Internet marketing strategies can be more effective like paid advertising through pay per click (PPC) campaigns, depending on the site operator’s goals. Search engine marketing (SEM), is practice of designing, running, and optimizing search engine ad campaigns. Its difference from SEO is most simply depicted as the difference between paid and unpaid priority ranking in search results. Its purpose regards prominence more so than relevance; website developers should regard SEM with the utmost importance with consideration to PageRank visibility as most navigate to the primary listings of their search. A successful Internet marketing campaign may also depend upon building high quality web pages to engage and persuade, setting up analytics programs to enable site owners to measure results, and improving a site’s conversion rate. In November 2015, Google released a full 160 page version of its Search Quality Rating Guidelines to the public, which now shows a shift in their focus towards “usefulness” and mobile search.
53. Keep your content updated, or prepare to see it losing its good rankings. Update the information whenever something changes, fix the errors and get rid of broken links. If your site is built using WordPress, plug-ins like Broken Link Checker can help you save a lot of time.
4. Any website page shouldn’t be more than 2 or 3 clicks away from the home page; otherwise, the link juice will not flow properly, and some pages could end up in Google’s supplemental index/become useless. Make sure to keep website navigation simple and clear for both users and search engines.
22. Ask Google what are the keywords your website should be ranking for. Go to Google’s Keyword Planner Tool, and then input the URL of your website in the “Your landing page” field, without typing any keyword in the “Your product or service” field.
51. Use Quora to understand the main problems of your potential customers. Then, write a report that solves/answers them and give it away on your website, or upload it to the top document sharing sites.
Manual and automated (Penguin, Panda, etc) penalties lead to lost rankings and significant website traffic drops. Use your website analytics tool to determine what pages are affected.
3. If you plan to launch a new site, the chapters of an Amazon bestseller, industry-related book can be used for your website’s categories. It’s a quick and effective way of planning your website structure and it works fine in any niche, provided that you pick the proper book.
50. Use Google’s Keyword Planner tool to discover the keywords with the highest cost per click values in your industry. Choose the ones that have a low search volume (less than 100 searches per month) and then write blog posts that target those particular keywords. If you manage to rank the blog posts well enough, you have gotten yourself a good source of inexpensive, high quality leads.
SEO may generate an adequate return on investment. However, search engines are not paid for organic search traffic, their algorithms change, and there are no guarantees of continued referrals. Due to this lack of guarantees and certainty, a business that relies heavily on search engine traffic can suffer major losses if the search engines stop sending visitors. Search engines can change their algorithms, impacting a website’s placement, possibly resulting in a serious loss of traffic. According to Google’s CEO, Eric Schmidt, in 2010, Google made over 500 algorithm changes – almost 1.5 per day. It is considered wise business practice for website operators to liberate themselves from dependence on search engine traffic.
I’m definitely in agreement with Samuel on this one. When a potential client asks me whether I do White hat, Grey hat, or Black hat SEO, I respond with “No Hat SEO”. Then of course, I go on to explain that I do what gets long-term results for my clients – by persuading trusted authority sites to link to the client website.
49. If you have created a great piece of content, be sure to repurpose it into a video, a presentation, etc. Then, upload these new content pieces to the top video sharing sites, on SlideShare, etc.
As the number one search engine, Google is visited by hundreds of millions of people per day, and each visit presents the potential for your site to be discovered by a new user. Google is an undeniably powerful source of traffic to your website, and being banned can result in a drastic drop in website traffic and even business. Consider all the work that goes into your website and then think about what it would be like to be banned from the internet’s most commonly used search engine. What’s worse, once you’re banned from Google, there is no guarantee that they will ever re-list you. A lifetime ban from Google would have tremendous consequences.
Glad you enjoyed it, Brian. That’s a great question. I actually use a Chrome extension called Check My Links. It finds all the broken links on a page VERY quickly. To help automate the process of finding pages and checking for broken links, I’ve also used the (paid) tool at BrokenLinkBuilding.com, which I really like.
The Google algorithm incorporates hundreds, if not thousands, of signals when determining where pages rank for a search. Knowing which factors carry the most weight and optimizing accordingly can be the difference between success and failure. This post will concentrate on areas that, in my experience, deliver positive results and a big return on investment.
Does This Seem Familiar? Your Goals are to support sales with collateral and qualified leads, manage company communications and build awareness. Your Challenge is that there are too many things to do and you are not sure how to get there. It does not help that your marketing tools are difficult to use, often un-connected and dealing with multiple channels is very messy. Marketers Love Whitehat Inbound because our tech make life easier with a single dashboard for all tools and channels. Everything is implemented based on inbound marketing best practice. Best of all the reporting to the CEO and sales is easy with a clear, real time, ROI on all marketing efforts.
We use keyword research for many things, but we always put the content first. Having a keyword to accompany an article is great because when you write high-quality content it should be read for a long time, right? Without keywords, those great articles could get lost on the Internet, never to be read again. There are thousands of companies doing it wrong out there, and Google is penalizing them one by one.
111. If you use Moz’s DA metric to evaluate the strength of your potential link targets, you will simply love the Bulk DA Checker tool, which can test up to 200 URLs in one go.
94. A 100% ethical way of getting high quality, traffic producing backlinks is to add your online business to well known sites like Google Maps, Bing Maps, Manta, Yellow Pages, and so on. Discover more ways of getting high authority backlinks for free.
In a Google Webmaster Q&A forum, Matt Cutt’s stated blog comment links are perfectly fine. In fact, it’s a practice he uses himself.
Problems We Solve Despite spending 5 or 6 figures a year on marketing & sales, many companies tell us they aren’t getting the quality of leads and new customers they need to hit their targets. They say that they can’t afford to keep spending at this level without being able to directly connect marketing effort to sales results. We can’t help everyone. But if this issue is a priority for your company, we’d be happy to speak with you to learn enough about your situation to see if we can help.
Some search engines have also reached out to the SEO industry, and are frequent sponsors and guests at SEO conferences, chats, and seminars. Major search engines provide information and guidelines to help with site optimization. Google has a Sitemaps program to help webmasters learn if Google is having any problems indexing their website and also provides data on Google traffic to the website. Bing Webmaster Tools provides a way for webmasters to submit a sitemap and web feeds, allows users to determine the crawl rate, and track the web pages index status.
For straight up link begging, I’ve found that something simple and straightforward works. My script is something like: “I found your list of resources. I also have a good one. It’d be great if you could add mine to the list”. There are a few tricks to make it more effective, but that’s the basic gist.
It’s interesting, but my attitude about SEO has changed… I used to over-think it, trying to come up with the “right” number of times to use key words and phrases. Now I just encourage our writers to focus on bringing something of value to our users’ lives in every single post. I then look to see if I can improve on the title to make it both catchier and stickier. It seems to be working. Google just upped our page rank from a 4 to a 5 and traffic went from 280,000 to 500,000 visits and from 800,000 to 1.5 million pageviews a month.
As Google continues to improve its ability to deliver hyper-local results, it is critically important to have complete and accurate data in one’s Google My Business profile. This continues to be an easy win, as less than half of all businesses have claimed their business listing.
Time for a timely and utterly insipid post that smacks of wanting exposure, but being unwilling to apply myself… Oh. Right. So much work! Great article, Ryan!
This revised model reminds me of the always smart and innovative About.com, who assigns an “expert” to each of their niches, a business model they didn’t adapt recently for SEO but one that has always existed.
He is the proud Founder & Chief Architect of cognitiveSEO, an SEO Toolset focused on in-depth analysis of ranking signals. With over 8 years experience in affiliate marketing and search engine optimization and 12 years in programming and web development, he has gone from Web Developer to Super Affiliate for large international networks. With a strong focus on everything that is Search Engine related, he developed strategies to stand-out search engine updates. His passion for search engine marketing led him to create his own SEO Toolset, trying to solve the issues that he is facing in the search engine optimization field.