16. Don’t buy an aged domain for your new website without checking it thoroughly. People have created fake PR9 domains by redirecting them to real PR9 sites, and then they have sold them for large amounts of money, for example. A good domain has many links from industry-related, highly authoritative websites pointing to it.
This is akin to blowing up the sidewalk outside your competitors real world brick and mortar, but others see it as all part of the search game. Where you stand is all a matter of your ethics, but beware, some of it is highly illegal and could land you in jail if discovered.
139. Some plug-ins can slow down your site a lot, making it lose its good rankings. Fortunately, P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) will show you which plug-ins aren’t coded in an efficient manner.
I often read many posts where SEO experts frown upon Blackhat strategies but then openly promote link building. According to Google’s TOS, natural links are links others point back to your site without the need to pay for it, ask for it, comment for it or insert a link in your article to gain it.
89. Make sure to vary the anchor text used for your backlinks, especially if you go after money making keywords. Google’s algorithm is now smart enough to understand what a particular website page is about, so don’t just focus on a few anchors. When in doubt, go for brand and URL-based anchor texts.
“Mequoda has helped us by giving us focus, a plan, and the benefit not only of their expertise, but also of the other clients they’ve had. So when they’re telling you to do something, it’s not just in theory but in practice.” – Julia Elliott, Content Director/Editor In Chief, Metro Parent Publishing “Mequoda’s knowledge of the fundamental practices and technologies at the core of the media business is unsurpassed by any other group of consultants I know. If you’re in the media industry, Mequoda would be a valuable ally.” – Bryan Welch, CEO, B The Change Media “We’ve used Mequoda’s strategies and techniques to sell thousands of books, videos, and subscriptions.” – Charlie Spahr, Executive Director, The American Ceramic Society “The team I worked with at Interweave successfully transitioned a leading print enthusiast media business into the digital age. The folks at Mequoda were an important part of this team and the company’s most valued strategic advisor. We could not have done it without them.” – Clay Hall, Former CEO, Interweave “We’ve used these principles, analytics and advice to more than double our revenues over the past three years.” – Stuart Hochwert, Founder and CEO, Prime Publishing “We’ve used these techniques to boost sales of our higher-priced products, and dramatically increase our multiplatform subscription revenues.” – Susan Laden, Publisher, Biblical Archaeology Society “We’ve used the strategies taught here to develop entirely new streams of revenue.” – Robert Michel, Founder, The Dark Intelligence Group “With more than 3.2 million monthly unique visitors, Mother Earth News has increased its revenues 39X over the past 10 years, using these strategies.” – Bill Uhler, Publisher, Ogden Publications “We use Mequoda’s strategies to sell out our executive education programs.” – Gail Odeneal, Director of Marketing, Program on Negotiation Harvard Law School “We’ve used these sponsorship strategies to build the world’s largest Spanish-language health care website.” – Carl Kravetz, Publisher & Exective Director, Vida y Salud “If you want to make more money online — listen to Mequoda.” – Chuck McCullagh, Former Senior Vice President, Magazine Publishers of America
76. Lower your website’s bounce rate. Whenever somebody clicks your website page in Google’s search results, skims through it for a few seconds, and then returns back to Google, this tells the search engine giant that something’s bad. In SEO terms, the “dwell time” is too short.
9. Having a dedicated “Contact Us” page which lists your contact address, phone numbers, etc. is mandatory. Google wants to make sure that you run a real business, and not an affiliate site built for the sole purpose of netting a quick buck.
25. Test if a certain keyword is profitable for SEO by running a small pay per click (PPC) campaign for it. Create a Google AdWords account, and then set up an AdWords campaign using your keyword list. Use conversion tracking and wait for a few days, until you gather enough data; then, examine the results and you will discover the set of winning keywords.
Great stuff! I remember the old days and how we used to do things. But, you’re right, it’s a new era and these techniques are a must! I am using all of these with my creation of niche websites and the work, though time consuming at times, surely pays off. Nice work!
Online publishers can take a number of fundamental actions to get more traffic to their website. These include increasing post frequency, promoting all articles through social networks, adding more pages to your site and gaining more good inbound links than the competition. Google has revoked their emphasis on building inbound links due to people spamming their black hats off; however we all know that high-quality inbound links make you look good in the algorithm. Even no-follow social media links make you a look good. The more shares an article has, the more “influence” it has, and the higher it climbs.
Old school beating the pavement and finding content holes! Great read. I plan on trying to do the same for my niche which is selling niche websites based on Adsense monetization. I can see the hardest part is going to be the initial outreach, luckily I can use the short and sweet approach you posted with a little modification to suit my topic. This will be interesting to see how it goes. As always, great post bro, keep em coming. -Jay
You understand the digital world, but we understand digital marketing. We can create your plan, raise awareness, capture and nurture leads by executing an effective marketing strategy.
29. Take user intent into account. Most buyer keywords have prefixes like buy, discount, how to, cure, coupon, help for, etc. Your keywords/website pages should help solve other people’s problems.
12. Add a blog to your site, and then start posting high quality content. By posting useful, properly researched articles that target long tail keywords on a regular basis, you will receive more and more visitors each month.
Keep in mind “conversational” search queries. As of July 2015, over 30% of all searches returned rich answers. Many of these answers were in response to “who, what, when, where, why, and how” queries. While it’s great to appear in position 0 and garner the traffic associated with it, the benefit is usually short lived. The churn rate for rich answers exceeds 55%.
2. Create dedicated pages for each targeted keyword, but don’t go overboard with it. If you target the “small business seo” keyword, for example, you should create a
Search engine results that appear as a result of approved methods, rather than payment or trickery, are referred to as organic search results. Because paid ads and sponsored links are prominently placed on search results pages, the portion of visible search results dedicated to organic results is limited, so top placement is very desirable.
Oh man, blog commenting is so ridiculous seen from a publisher perspective. You really underestimate a good publisher’s editorial. They will set you and your IP on Spam and you’ll be blacklisted everywhere. Can you really call that “White Hat”? I see this shit everyday, and it’s nothing else than this.
28. Nevertheless, after checking the “allintitle” competition, the decision to target a particular keyword (or not) should be taken only after evaluating the strength of the top 10 competitors. There are keywords that return hundreds of millions of Google search results and yet have a weak top 10, while searches for other industries will only display a few thousands of search results, despite having a very strong top 10.
The other top ranking factors heading into 2017 are user intentions, such as click-through rates, bounce rates and time on site (TOS). Good content will naturally lead to these user factors.
According to data from Contently, 35 percent of readers spend less than 30 seconds engaging with downloadable content, so make sure the opening sentence and lead image/graphic is engaging. As well, edit every sentence for accuracy and grammatical structure — the secret to good writing is rewriting. Each piece of content needs a strong title to draw in readers.
Excellent case study, Brian/Richard. I have bee blogging for a few years and just recently found out how important promotion really is. Like Derek Halpern says, “20% of your time should be focused on writing and 80% should be focused on promotion”. Richard obviously spent a ton of time on this one post, but it should work FOR him for the long time. Well done, Richard! Way to take action and as always, thanks for the tips, Brian!
Google Instant, real-time-search, was introduced in late 2010 in an attempt to make search results more timely and relevant. Historically site administrators have spent months or even years optimizing a website to increase search rankings. With the growth in popularity of social media sites and blogs the leading engines made changes to their algorithms to allow fresh content to rank quickly within the search results.
Bhupendra Sharma March 22nd Excellent. I still believe users shouldn’t piss search engines by using black hat link building strategies. I am a blogger, and I have full faith in White Hat Link building tactics. By the way, you have written a wonderful piece. Keep up the good work. Reply
22. Ask Google what are the keywords your website should be ranking for. Go to Google’s Keyword Planner Tool, and then input the URL of your website in the “Your landing page” field, without typing any keyword in the “Your product or service” field.
That’s right—keyword research is still important in 2017. With Google providing less KW data all the time, two of the largest SEO tool providers, Moz and Ahrefs, have developed and improved KW tools hoping to fill the void. However, the way one goes about performing and using the results from KW research in 2017 has changed, thanks to RankBrain.
31. Check Google’s first search results page for each keyword that you plan to target. Some of the organic results may be pushed below the fold by ads, knowledge graphs, and so on, so they may not be worth the effort.
at the end of the day, this is what google wants. they want YOU to be able to optimize your OWN site, but they don’t want a handful of agencies being able to automate seo across thousands of sites. you can’t fight google, they’re a lot smarter than we are and they’re going to win.
Webmasters and content providers began optimizing sites for search engines in the mid-1990s, as the first search engines were cataloging the early Web. Initially, all webmasters needed only to submit the address of a page, or URL, to the various engines which would send a “spider” to “crawl” that page, extract links to other pages from it, and return information found on the page to be indexed. The process involves a search engine spider downloading a page and storing it on the search engine’s own server. A second program, known as an indexer, extracts information about the page, such as the words it contains, where they are located, and any weight for specific words, as well as all links the page contains. All of this information is then placed into a scheduler for crawling at a later date.
Engines now regard them as less important, it’s still important to use them and use them properly. Titles however still carry a lot of weight and when we think of semantic mark up it is obvious why. The title of anything is a declaration as to what the content might be, so make sure your page titles are a true representation of the content of the page.