43. If you run an e-commerce website, take the time to rewrite all the product descriptions, turning them into engaging calls to action. If you simply copy/paste the manufacturers’ descriptions, you’re going to have a hard time trying to rank those product pages. Most people are lazy, so there are probably thousands of identical text snippets in Google’s index for each product you’re trying to sell.
Hi Ryan, now this is some high-quality content right there! I absolutely loved your article! Very useful, the tips are practical and I love the fact that you’ve included snippets of how these have worked for you. Will be trying all of these strategies. Will let you know how it goes. Didi
“Mequoda’s knowledge of the fundamental practices and technologies at the core of the media business is unsurpassed by any other group of consultants I know. If you’re in the media industry, Mequoda would be a valuable ally.” – Bryan Welch, CEO, B The Change Media
Alexa isn’t the most reliable website popularity tool in the world, but it’s still a decent way of separating the dead sites from the rest. Stay away from any site that has an Alexa rank below 5,000,000.
Go through and update your old content, but do so wisely. For example, you could make a static URL for an events page without specifying the year, and update that page yearly. In other words, start an archives page on the original URL instead of simply deleting old content. This will also give the original URL more authority by strengthening its domain every year.
157. Use a CDN (content delivery network) to speed up your site. It’s a system that caches your website’s static content, storing it in a network of servers. Then, when people access your website, the desired pages are loaded from the servers that are closest to them. Cloudflare is one of the best CDN providers on the market, and they have a free plan that offers enough features for most people’s needs.
You understand the digital world, but we understand digital marketing. We can create your plan, raise awareness, capture and nurture leads by executing an effective marketing strategy.
It’s all a matter of perspective and attitude. Do you do short term SEO or long term SEO? if it’s long-term SEO, then you are engaging in clean, powerful link building.
Algorithms and humans can quickly spot thin and irrelevant content, which can dissolve any website authority you may have. If you hire writers and editors, find the best even though they’re an added expense. Never let something lacking in relevance or quality go live.
132. XML sitemaps will beep the search engines anytime your site is updated. There are several plug-ins that also include XML sitemaps modules, but if you are looking for a simple, lightweight solution, you should install the Google XML Sitemaps plug-in.
Keep in mind “conversational” search queries. As of July 2015, over 30% of all searches returned rich answers. Many of these answers were in response to “who, what, when, where, why, and how” queries. While it’s great to appear in position 0 and garner the traffic associated with it, the benefit is usually short lived. The churn rate for rich answers exceeds 55%.
Page and Brin founded Google in 1998. Google attracted a loyal following among the growing number of Internet users, who liked its simple design. Off-page factors (such as PageRank and hyperlink analysis) were considered as well as on-page factors (such as keyword frequency, meta tags, headings, links and site structure) to enable Google to avoid the kind of manipulation seen in search engines that only considered on-page factors for their rankings. Although PageRank was more difficult to game, webmasters had already developed link building tools and schemes to influence the Inktomi search engine, and these methods proved similarly applicable to gaming PageRank. Many sites focused on exchanging, buying, and selling links, often on a massive scale. Some of these schemes, or link farms, involved the creation of thousands of sites for the sole purpose of link spamming.
While there are many legitimate ways to optimize a site for search engines, some webmasters may utilize deceptive techniques to try and trick search engines and users. Legitimate SEO is often referred to as “whitehat,” while the more unsavory, illicit techniques are often called “blackhat.” It’s important to distinguish between the two methods since blackhat SEO actually damages your site and reputation, instead of improving its ranking in organic search results.
For example, a website that is optimized for search engines, yet focuses on relevancy and organic ranking is considered to be optimized using White Hat SEO practices. Some examples of White Hat SEO techniques include using keywords and keyword analysis, backlinking, link building to improve link popularity, and writing content for human readers.
40. The duplicate content penalty has to do with having duplicate content pieces on your own website, and not with somebody else reusing your website content; otherwise, news sites, press release sites and lyrics sites would be penalized. Just make sure that there aren’t any duplicate/very similar pages on your website.
Tagged with about.com, ad, asi, audience development, Audience Development Manager, blog, content, email, email newsletter, email newsletters, high quality content, inbound links, keyword research, media, mequoda, multi, multiplatform, newsletter, online publisher, online publishers, publishers, SEO, social m, social media.
15. Google’s Exact Match Domain update has devalued all the domains that were including the targeted keyword in their name. Buying an existing, brandable, aged domain for your new website is still helpful, though.
I first started promoting a “mobile first” approach to SEO back in March of 2015, when I dubbed Google’s pending mobile update “Mobilegeddon”. The name caught on, but the April 21, 2015, update didn’t create as big an upheaval as expected. It did, however, put everyone on notice, that mobile was here and no longer “the future”. Those who did not heed the warning to go mobile will soon be paying the price.
Remember, Google has a product, the information it serves and if that information is no good then Google has no value. Google wants better websites and gets them from SEO professionals.
Search engines use complex mathematical algorithms to guess which websites a user seeks. In this diagram, if each bubble represents a web site, programs sometimes called spiders examine which sites link to which other sites, with arrows representing these links. Websites getting more inbound links, or stronger links, are presumed to be more important and what the user is searching for. In this example, since website B is the recipient of numerous inbound links, it ranks more highly in a web search. And the links “carry through”, such that website C, even though it only has one inbound link, has an inbound link from a highly popular site (B) while site E does not. Note: percentages are rounded.
Keywords still are a part of the White Hat SEO techniques, and it is obvious to be a portion. It is to be remembered that keywords are not just meant for attracting crawlers of search engines as they serve the audience to understand the theme behind the whole website. While using keywords, in meta tags and descriptions, the process of using relevant and meaningful keywords should be followed.
The other top ranking factors heading into 2017 are user intentions, such as click-through rates, bounce rates and time on site (TOS). Good content will naturally lead to these user factors.
I know all these questions have been addressed in this or that article, like in my discussion with Ken Krogue in his Forbes piece or in the latest letter by Senator John D. Rockefeller to Matt Cutts about SERPs and moving companies. Yet why is there so much confusion about search engine optimization? In an attempt to clear things up, let’s take a basic look at SEO ethics with some terms and definitions.
Hi Tyler, well said and great article. Another element I’d like to add is the power of content repurposing. Once you’re, for example, publishing content regularly on your blog, the same content can be adapted and repurposed for multiple other formats, rather than starting from scratch each time.
104. Having access to a paid backlinks discovery tool is crucial for any SEO consultant. Still, if money is an issue, you can use Open Link Profiler, a 100% free tool that provides good results. You can export up to 1,000 backlinks per website with a free account.
There are two forms of black hat SEO. It can get very confusing because they are never really clearly separated by definition. Also, depending on which space or vertical you work in, both forms of black hat SEO can mean very, very different things.
131. Optimize your sidebar. I know, it’s the ideal place for those nice-looking widgets and the URLs of your friends’ fantastic blogs, but it can also slow down your site and make people leave earlier than intended, by following one of the outbound links.
89. Make sure to vary the anchor text used for your backlinks, especially if you go after money making keywords. Google’s algorithm is now smart enough to understand what a particular website page is about, so don’t just focus on a few anchors. When in doubt, go for brand and URL-based anchor texts.
So for example, if pure gray hat you might build links to your site through link distribution methods, but never would you purchase links directly from a link seller. Or you would write content is great quantities, knowing it isn’t perfectly relevant, but making sure it is of some quality, relevance, and substance, but you would never use a content spinner.
113. Sometimes you will want to contact a webmaster, but you won’t be able to find his or her email address. Often times, emails like [email protected] or [email protected] are valid, but how can you know this for sure? You don’t want to email them blindly and be classified as a spammer.
Black Hat SEO, on the other hand, as you might guess, is the exact opposite. Deception is often employed, using methods which are frowned upon by search engines and contrary to their guidelines in order to enhance a website’s rankings. Black Hat practices always get caught in the end.
21. If you have bought a domain but you aren’t ready to launch your website yet, put a 2000+ words, high quality article on the home page and get it indexed – it will allow your site to age naturally, thus helping you rank it faster when you are prepared to promote it.
i had to adjust my model. i no longer hire a ton of link builders — instead, i use freelance writers. real, american, journalists with their own set of connections to websites. i then train them on content distribution strategies and send them off to write a shit load of content for various sites as well as for the client’s.
Content is king, so keep it relevant, include only the highest-quality expertise on the subject matter, and make sure grammar is correct. The No.1 goal of any type of content is to problem solve. Make sure your content solves problems, adds value and entertains. If you can cover these elements with a passionate outlook on your industry, your content will surpass the competition.
One place you should definitely include keywords is in the title of your Web page. You might want to choose something like “Skydiving 101” or “The Art of Skydiving.”Another good place to use keywords is in headers. If your page has several sections, consider using header tags and include important keywords in them. In our example, headers might include “Skydiving Equipment” or “Skydiving Classes.”Most SEO experts recommend that you use important keywords throughout the Web page, particularly at the top, but it’s possible to overuse keywords. Your skydiving site would obviously use the word “skydiving” as a keyword, but it might also include other keywords like “base jumping” or “parachute.” If you use a keyword too many times, some search engine spiders will flag your page as spam. That’s because of a black hat technique called keyword stuffing, but more on that later.