The leading search engines, such as Google, Bing and Yahoo!, use crawlers to find pages for their algorithmic search results. Pages that are linked from other search engine indexed pages do not need to be submitted because they are found automatically. Two major directories, the Yahoo Directory and DMOZ, both require manual submission and human editorial review. Google offers Google Search Console, for which an XML Sitemap feed can be created and submitted for free to ensure that all pages are found, especially pages that are not discoverable by automatically following links in addition to their URL submission console. Yahoo! formerly operated a paid submission service that guaranteed crawling for a cost per click; this was discontinued in 2009.
40. The duplicate content penalty has to do with having duplicate content pieces on your own website, and not with somebody else reusing your website content; otherwise, news sites, press release sites and lyrics sites would be penalized. Just make sure that there aren’t any duplicate/very similar pages on your website.
18. If you plan to buy a new domain, go for a .com extension; most of the big brands ranking to the top of Google own .com domains. If you run a non-profit organization, a .org domain would be more appropriate, of course.
Algorithms and humans can quickly spot thin and irrelevant content, which can dissolve any website authority you may have. If you hire writers and editors, find the best even though they’re an added expense. Never let something lacking in relevance or quality go live.
64. Add Google Authorship tags to your website pages; create a Google+ account, and then link it to your website. If you use WordPress, there are many free plug-ins that will do that for you.
Having the course on my CV showed I was willing to learn on my own time, had an interest in the subject, and now had a knowledge of affiliate and online marketing. I would not have got this job unless I did this course – it’s as simple as that.
For example, a website that is optimized for search engines, yet focuses on relevancy and organic ranking is considered to be optimized using White Hat SEO practices. Some examples of White Hat SEO techniques include using keywords and keyword analysis, backlinking, link building to improve link popularity, and writing content for human readers.
25. Test if a certain keyword is profitable for SEO by running a small pay per click (PPC) campaign for it. Create a Google AdWords account, and then set up an AdWords campaign using your keyword list. Use conversion tracking and wait for a few days, until you gather enough data; then, examine the results and you will discover the set of winning keywords.
49. If you have created a great piece of content, be sure to repurpose it into a video, a presentation, etc. Then, upload these new content pieces to the top video sharing sites, on SlideShare, etc.
50. Use Google’s Keyword Planner tool to discover the keywords with the highest cost per click values in your industry. Choose the ones that have a low search volume (less than 100 searches per month) and then write blog posts that target those particular keywords. If you manage to rank the blog posts well enough, you have gotten yourself a good source of inexpensive, high quality leads.
74. Keep an eye on your click-through rate. If the site ranks OK for a particular keyword, but very few people click through to your page, there must be something wrong with the page title and/or its description.
Great post Ryan.I like your second strategy of finding opportunities … new and really effective if utilized properly and most probably regularly. One white hat quick link building technique is to search for sites that allow blog posts on their sites by creating your own account. Not article directories rather real sites that have real quality content on their sites, and that allow do-follow links inside the article. Those sites might difficult to find but in some niche like gardening, home improvement it is easily available.If you are expert in search you are definitely exert in link building.
The bottom line is you don’t have to manage thousands or even 200 ranking signals in order to significantly increase organic traffic. Just focus on the areas mentioned above. If you do, it’s entirely possible to double, triple, or even 10X the traffic coming to your website in 2017.
72. Use high quality images for your articles. Yes, they may cost money, but they look much better than the free ones – that’s why you pay for them! In addition to this, few people are using them, so you may also get some website traffic from Google Images and other image search engines.
102. Google Analytics is a free website traffic monitoring tool; install it on your website, and then boost the success of the keywords that are already sending visitors to your website by optimizing the existing pages, creating new pages, trying to attract more links to those particular landing pages, etc. If you dislike the idea of having Google monitor your website, StatCounter is a good alternative.
51. Use Quora to understand the main problems of your potential customers. Then, write a report that solves/answers them and give it away on your website, or upload it to the top document sharing sites.
Demand Media would argue that they didn’t engage in black hat practices, yet Google penalized them anyway. Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s Webspam team, has said that over 500 changes happen within the Google algorithm every 12 months. Cutts is aggressively tweaking the algorithm to differentiate high-quality content from non-quality content.
98. Don’t just rely on SEO for traffic. Forum posting, ethical article marketing, guest posting, offline marketing (flyers, etc), Q & A sites, document sharing sites and giveaways are just a few examples of free and inexpensive website traffic sources.
SEO techniques can be classified into two broad categories: techniques that search engines recommend as part of good design, and those techniques of which search engines do not approve. The search engines attempt to minimize the effect of the latter, among them spamdexing. Industry commentators have classified these methods, and the practitioners who employ them, as either white hat SEO, or black hat SEO. White hats tend to produce results that last a long time, whereas black hats anticipate that their sites may eventually be banned either temporarily or permanently once the search engines discover what they are doing.
118. Create matching accounts at all the major social media sites (Google+, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, etc) and post links to them on your website. Then, make sure to share your blog posts and industry news through social media. WordPress plug-ins like Social Networks Auto-Poster can do this for you automatically, saving you a lot of time.
68. Google evaluates the quality of a site by taking relevance, content quality, compatibility and loading speed into account. If people like your content, engage with it and visit your site regularly, Google will send you more visitors.
Written by Razvan Gavrilas He is the proud Founder & Chief Architect of cognitiveSEO, an SEO Toolset focused on in-depth analysis of ranking signals. With over 8 years experience in affiliate marketing and search engine optimization and 12 years in programming and web development, he has gone from Web Developer to Super Affiliate for large international networks. With a strong focus on everything that is Search Engine related, he developed strategies to stand-out search engine updates. His passion for search engine marketing led him to create his own SEO Toolset, trying to solve the issues that he is facing in the search engine optimization field.
Use, by you or one client, in a single end product which end users are not charged for. The total price includes the item price and a buyer fee.
When I published 151 Things to Do in Carmel CA, I wanted to contact the businesses/places that I had referenced in the article. Many just had a contact form on their site or something like /* */. I just sent my generic intro email and 100% responded positively that they wanted the link to the article. In most cases I got a ‘real’ email address and name when they replied. That’s the beauty of using Brian’s strategy of sending an intro email first (without the link), asking them if they would like to have it. It forces them to reply, versus if you simply send over the link.
Online publishers can take a number of fundamental actions to get more traffic to their website. These include increasing post frequency, promoting all articles through social networks, adding more pages to your site and gaining more good inbound links than the competition. Google has revoked their emphasis on building inbound links due to people spamming their black hats off; however we all know that high-quality inbound links make you look good in the algorithm. Even no-follow social media links make you a look good. The more shares an article has, the more “influence” it has, and the higher it climbs.
More importantly, I suspect the conversational search/rich answers technology is being applied to voice search. Voice is the fastest growing type of search; 55% of teens and 41% of adults already use voice search daily. As devices like Amazon Echo and Google Home gain market share, I would expect the pace of voice search to grow exponentially.
I’m definitely in agreement with Samuel on this one. When a potential client asks me whether I do White hat, Grey hat, or Black hat SEO, I respond with “No Hat SEO”. Then of course, I go on to explain that I do what gets long-term results for my clients – by persuading trusted authority sites to link to the client website.
He is the proud Founder & Chief Architect of cognitiveSEO, an SEO Toolset focused on in-depth analysis of ranking signals. With over 8 years experience in affiliate marketing and search engine optimization and 12 years in programming and web development, he has gone from Web Developer to Super Affiliate for large international networks. With a strong focus on everything that is Search Engine related, he developed strategies to stand-out search engine updates. His passion for search engine marketing led him to create his own SEO Toolset, trying to solve the issues that he is facing in the search engine optimization field.
115. Often times, SEO and reputation management are used together to boost client’s revenue. But how do you keep track of all the complaints? Fear not, for there’s a Complaints Search Results engine that does just that.
SEO is not an appropriate strategy for every website, and other Internet marketing strategies can be more effective like paid advertising through pay per click (PPC) campaigns, depending on the site operator’s goals. Search engine marketing (SEM), is practice of designing, running, and optimizing search engine ad campaigns. Its difference from SEO is most simply depicted as the difference between paid and unpaid priority ranking in search results. Its purpose regards prominence more so than relevance; website developers should regard SEM with the utmost importance with consideration to PageRank visibility as most navigate to the primary listings of their search. A successful Internet marketing campaign may also depend upon building high quality web pages to engage and persuade, setting up analytics programs to enable site owners to measure results, and improving a site’s conversion rate. In November 2015, Google released a full 160 page version of its Search Quality Rating Guidelines to the public, which now shows a shift in their focus towards “usefulness” and mobile search.
Absolutely, Jay: this is the type of SEO people were doing back in the 90s. And as you can see, it still works well today! Let me know how the technique works out for your site.
31. Check Google’s first search results page for each keyword that you plan to target. Some of the organic results may be pushed below the fold by ads, knowledge graphs, and so on, so they may not be worth the effort.