Before we dive in, it’s important to note that every SEO professional has their own opinion and what follows are just mine, though I believe them to be shared by others I know, respect, and speak with on panels at search marketing conferences from time to time. No doubt others will vehemently disagree, but hey that’s OK too.
137. As mentioned above, the presence of structured markup can be essential for some online businesses (e-commerce sites, for example). Some developers are aware of this, so they have integrated schema markup code into their themes. But even if your theme doesn’t have built-in schema support, there are many WordPress plug-ins – Schema, for example – that solve the problem for good.
61. Google will usually display the first 50-60 characters from your title tag in its search results. As a general rule, your article titles should fit nicely into a 512 pixels display. Keep the title tags short and punchy; otherwise, they will not be displayed in their entirety in Google’s search results.
Steve Shaw November 11, 2016 Hi Tyler, well said and great article. Another element I’d like to add is the power of content repurposing. Once you’re, for example, publishing content regularly on your blog, the same content can be adapted and repurposed for multiple other formats, rather than starting from scratch each time. Each blog post should at some point also become a video, a SlideShare presentation, a podcast episode, a post on Medium and Quora, answers to questions on Quora also, multiple posts to social, guest posts on other blogs, and so on. By doing so, you not only tap into the huge audiences on these other platforms, but also help develop the kind of link profile that supports strong and sustainable SEO.
By 1997, search engine designers recognized that webmasters were making efforts to rank well in their search engine, and that some webmasters were even manipulating their rankings in search results by stuffing pages with excessive or irrelevant keywords. Early search engines, such as Altavista and Infoseek, adjusted their algorithms in an effort to prevent webmasters from manipulating rankings.
138. Use a “related posts” widget or plugin. This will encourage people to read more of your website pages, boosting dwell time and reducing the bounce rate. Jetpack is installed by default with WordPress, and it includes a related posts feature as well. Other popular plugins are YARPP and Contextual Related Posts.
Oh man, blog commenting is so ridiculous seen from a publisher perspective. You really underestimate a good publisher’s editorial. They will set you and your IP on Spam and you’ll be blacklisted everywhere. Can you really call that “White Hat”? I see this shit everyday, and it’s nothing else than this.
110. I can feel your pain; I’m not a graphics designer either. Tools like Canva make design very easy, though. Use it to create great images for your blog, social media covers, posters, infographics and more.
83. Try to avoid sitewide (sidebar, footer, etc) links; Google has learned that they are used to manipulate its search results, so it may choose to penalize your site. It’s best to contact the people that have linked to your website that way and ask them to remove the links. Contextual links (links surrounded by text) are much safer and more valuable.
131. Optimize your sidebar. I know, it’s the ideal place for those nice-looking widgets and the URLs of your friends’ fantastic blogs, but it can also slow down your site and make people leave earlier than intended, by following one of the outbound links.
“We had thirty people in our office. And if you have LinkedIn, Twitter, Google+, Facebook – if everyone’s sharing, it already gives us some social proof. That’s like eighty shares right off the bat. And people like sharing their friends’ stuff. So it just gave us a lot of social proof, gave us some amplification.
Lead Generation For Your B2B Businesses An Inbound Marketing Agency Driven By Results Whitehat is an Inbound Marketing agency in London and a Hubspot certified partner, providing performance based marketing strategies to optimise our client profits. We help customers with inbound marketing by providing lead nurturing and demand generation services, content marketing and marketing strategy. We also design and build effective marketing websites using a growth driven design methodology. Everything we do is to help you capture qualified leads.Are you looking to drive growth? Or perhaps to support your busy internal team? Maybe you need an agency to act as your entire marketing department. We have a range of traditional digital marketing packages, as well as our core Inbound Marketing service. We have expertise across multiple industries but have specialist experience in three core areas. Life Science Marketing Our team talks the languages of science and business. We can bring your marketing efforts up to date for a maximum ROI, help you launch a new product or break into a new market. Read More Software & Technology You understand the digital world, but we understand digital marketing. We can create your plan, raise awareness, capture and nurture leads by executing an effective marketing strategy. Read More Charity Inbound marketing has given charities and non-profits a great opportunity to reach out to a greater number of people quickly and build potential support for their cause. Read More
Glad you enjoyed it, Brian. That’s a great question. I actually use a Chrome extension called Check My Links. It finds all the broken links on a page VERY quickly. To help automate the process of finding pages and checking for broken links, I’ve also used the (paid) tool at BrokenLinkBuilding.com, which I really like.
4. Any website page shouldn’t be more than 2 or 3 clicks away from the home page; otherwise, the link juice will not flow properly, and some pages could end up in Google’s supplemental index/become useless. Make sure to keep website navigation simple and clear for both users and search engines.
To improve a Web page’s position in a SERP, you have to know how search engines work. Search engines categorize Web pages based on keywords — important terms that are relevant to the content of the page. In our example, the term “skydiving” should be a keyword, but a term like “bungee jumping” wouldn’t be relevant.
Incorporating UX best practices is easy. The web is filled with templates and advice. What separates the pros from the amateurs is A/B testing. Each one of us has our own biases that will influence how a web page is constructed. By running a series of experiments, you will be able to quantify what is working, what isn’t, and continue testing until you get it right.
SEO may generate an adequate return on investment. However, search engines are not paid for organic search traffic, their algorithms change, and there are no guarantees of continued referrals. Due to this lack of guarantees and certainty, a business that relies heavily on search engine traffic can suffer major losses if the search engines stop sending visitors. Search engines can change their algorithms, impacting a website’s placement, possibly resulting in a serious loss of traffic. According to Google’s CEO, Eric Schmidt, in 2010, Google made over 500 algorithm changes – almost 1.5 per day. It is considered wise business practice for website operators to liberate themselves from dependence on search engine traffic.
For example, a website that is optimized for search engines, yet focuses on relevancy and organic ranking is considered to be optimized using White Hat SEO practices. Some examples of White Hat SEO techniques include using keywords and keyword analysis, backlinking, link building to improve link popularity, and writing content for human readers.
Best practices: Whitehat SEO These techniques aim to improve a site by focusing on the visitors instead of on ranking higher. Examples of good, whitehat techniques include creating organic, high-quality content and adding good descriptive tags covered in the previous module. They adhere to Webmaster Guidelines, which your site should follow to rank well and organically in Google Search.
i had to adjust my model. i no longer hire a ton of link builders — instead, i use freelance writers. real, american, journalists with their own set of connections to websites. i then train them on content distribution strategies and send them off to write a shit load of content for various sites as well as for the client’s.
Software & Technology You understand the digital world, but we understand digital marketing. We can create your plan, raise awareness, capture and nurture leads by executing an effective marketing strategy. Read More
115. Often times, SEO and reputation management are used together to boost client’s revenue. But how do you keep track of all the complaints? Fear not, for there’s a Complaints Search Results engine that does just that.
Say goodbye to Google: 14 alternative search engines Say goodbye to Google with these 14 alternative search engines, covering everything from information, images, videos, facts and stats. Oh and Gifs.
74. Keep an eye on your click-through rate. If the site ranks OK for a particular keyword, but very few people click through to your page, there must be something wrong with the page title and/or its description.
When we first started looking at SEO as a separate entity to website build there was one phrase that we would continually hear, “content is King”, and it’s true. There is nothing more valuable you can do to optimise your site for search engines than offer unique well written content. A search engines aim is to serve up what it believes to be the most appropriate website for any given search to the end user.
139. Some plug-ins can slow down your site a lot, making it lose its good rankings. Fortunately, P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) will show you which plug-ins aren’t coded in an efficient manner.
148. Moderate the content that’s posted by other people on your website: blog comments, forum threads, etc. Keep an eye on links pointing to spammy, low quality and dangerous sites.
Having the course on my CV showed I was willing to learn on my own time, had an interest in the subject, and now had a knowledge of affiliate and online marketing. I would not have got this job unless I did this course – it’s as simple as that.
Good question, Rob. This can definitely work for local businesses. But you’re right: it takes a slightly different approach. One of the hardest parts of doing outreach for brick and mortar business or large sites is finding the right person to get in touch with. If you dig deep you can usually find the right email address somewhere on the site. If not, I recommend using the general “contact us” page and asking them to forward your message to the right person.
132. XML sitemaps will beep the search engines anytime your site is updated. There are several plug-ins that also include XML sitemaps modules, but if you are looking for a simple, lightweight solution, you should install the Google XML Sitemaps plug-in.
55. Make Google index your new blog posts fast. Log into your Google Search Console account, choose “Crawl” -> “Fetch as Google”, type in the URL of your new article, and then click “Fetch”; your fresh content will be indexed right away.
So the focus is on delivering quality content which relates to curation of original and unique content which is useful to the audience and relevant to the industry. The content should qualify norms like perfect grammar and spelling without any errors and the written content should be simple and understandable which is the most important factor that supports White Hat SEO. Images and videos being a part of content, need to be tagged appropriately with titles, descriptions and credits given to owner of image or video, if any. There are situations where it turns necessary to inherit content from others and in those cases, it is necessary that citation should be added that point to the source of content and it supports the White Hat SEO norms.