Any image that’s wider than the content wastes server space and diminishes the website loading speed. Repeat the process for your “featured images” as well; it is much better to create properly sized images for them, rather than reuse the big images. For best results, use tools like RIOT to set the best image size/quality compromise.
Above all else, never do anything purely for search engines. This is how companies cross the fine line between black hat SEO and legitimate, white hat SEO practices.
“Content is King”. For every instance, content is the only fragment which serves both the objectives of targeting search engines and online audience as well. But as this is about White Hat SEO, content to be used in websites is just targeted at the engagement of audience.
9. Having a dedicated “Contact Us” page which lists your contact address, phone numbers, etc. is mandatory. Google wants to make sure that you run a real business, and not an affiliate site built for the sole purpose of netting a quick buck.
I often read many posts where SEO experts frown upon Blackhat strategies but then openly promote link building. According to Google’s TOS, natural links are links others point back to your site without the need to pay for it, ask for it, comment for it or insert a link in your article to gain it.
Black hat SEO, on the other hand, uses sketchy, behind-the-scenes tactics that are primarily keyword driven and search engine centric. Black hat practices can also lend to fluctuative keyword rankings and greater risks of penalization.
Hey Ryan, nice post! Really liked your first section about blog commenting. There is absolutely such a thing as a powerful, natural blog comment link. That said, I think blog commenting isn’t so much about today’s link, but tomorrow’s link. The more you leave thoughtful comment on other blogs within your industry, the more relationships you’ll build. And as most people understand in our digital marketing sphere, these kinds of relationships can open up lucrative opportunities, often in the form of a link. Cheers
“Mequoda has helped us by giving us focus, a plan, and the benefit not only of their expertise, but also of the other clients they’ve had. So when they’re telling you to do something, it’s not just in theory but in practice.” – Julia Elliott, Content Director/Editor In Chief, Metro Parent Publishing
Companies that employ overly aggressive techniques can get their client websites banned from the search results. In 2005, the Wall Street Journal reported on a company, Traffic Power, which allegedly used high-risk techniques and failed to disclose those risks to its clients. Wired magazine reported that the same company sued blogger and SEO Aaron Wall for writing about the ban. Google’s Matt Cutts later confirmed that Google did in fact ban Traffic Power and some of its clients.
Bhupendra Sharma March 22nd Excellent. I still believe users shouldn’t piss search engines by using black hat link building strategies. I am a blogger, and I have full faith in White Hat Link building tactics. By the way, you have written a wonderful piece. Keep up the good work. Reply
64. Add Google Authorship tags to your website pages; create a Google+ account, and then link it to your website. If you use WordPress, there are many free plug-ins that will do that for you.
74. Keep an eye on your click-through rate. If the site ranks OK for a particular keyword, but very few people click through to your page, there must be something wrong with the page title and/or its description.
125. Ask people to share your content whenever you feel that you have created a remarkable piece. Don’t ask them to share all your posts, though – it won’t help, unless you are a really popular/funny guy or gal.
While there are many legitimate ways to optimize a site for search engines, some webmasters may utilize deceptive techniques to try and trick search engines and users. Legitimate SEO is often referred to as “whitehat,” while the more unsavory, illicit techniques are often called “blackhat.” It’s important to distinguish between the two methods since blackhat SEO actually damages your site and reputation, instead of improving its ranking in organic search results.
113. Sometimes you will want to contact a webmaster, but you won’t be able to find his or her email address. Often times, emails like [email protected] or [email protected] are valid, but how can you know this for sure? You don’t want to email them blindly and be classified as a spammer.
115. Often times, SEO and reputation management are used together to boost client’s revenue. But how do you keep track of all the complaints? Fear not, for there’s a Complaints Search Results engine that does just that.
By 1997, search engine designers recognized that webmasters were making efforts to rank well in their search engine, and that some webmasters were even manipulating their rankings in search results by stuffing pages with excessive or irrelevant keywords. Early search engines, such as Altavista and Infoseek, adjusted their algorithms in an effort to prevent webmasters from manipulating rankings.
Use, by you or one client, in a single end product which end users can be charged for. The total price includes the item price and a buyer fee.
33. Choose keywords you can easily rank for. Stay away from highly competitive keywords that are targeted by the big companies, or prepare to spend a lot of time and money with your SEO without having any guarantee that you will win the fight. Fortunately, the big guys don’t care about keywords that have hundreds of searches per month, while a small business owner can make a decent living by getting good rankings for a dozen of carefully chosen, low competition keywords.
Razvan Gavrilas September 9th Link Building has many “Hats”. Indeed Linkbuilding, can be seen as a “Black Hat” SEO marketing strategy,but it can also be a “White Hat” strategy. A “White Hat Link Building” example would be: “Guest Posting” – you write an article on a popular site that is read by many people and that artcile will generate an amount of backlinks pointing to your site eventually.The would be natural acquired backlinks. This is just one method. There are many more White Hat methods of Link Building. Reply
Successful search optimization for international markets may require professional translation of web pages, registration of a domain name with a top level domain in the target market, and web hosting that provides a local IP address. Otherwise, the fundamental elements of search optimization are essentially the same, regardless of language.
2. Create dedicated pages for each targeted keyword, but don’t go overboard with it. If you target the “small business seo” keyword, for example, you should create a
As publishers, stand by your brand reputation and commit to publishing content that people trust. Just remember that Google still searches for keywords in order to help them define your content. They aren’t anti-optimization, they’re anti-spam. If you’re writing great, useful content, you’re doing readers a favor by optimizing them so that more people can read them days, months, and years later when they find them in search.
49. If you have created a great piece of content, be sure to repurpose it into a video, a presentation, etc. Then, upload these new content pieces to the top video sharing sites, on SlideShare, etc.
51. Use Quora to understand the main problems of your potential customers. Then, write a report that solves/answers them and give it away on your website, or upload it to the top document sharing sites.
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in a web search engine’s unpaid results—often referred to as “natural”, “organic”, or “earned” results. In general, the earlier (or higher ranked on the search results page), and more frequently a site appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine’s users; these visitors can then be converted into customers. SEO may target different kinds of search, including image search, local search, video search, academic search, news search, and industry-specific vertical search engines.
White hat search engine optimization (white hat SEO) refers to SEO strategies that aim to build a quality website over the long term by focusing on the website’s audience. White hat SEO techniques include creating unique, high-quality website content and providing links to other relevant content on the site. White hat SEO tactics adhere to all search engine rules and policies, which act to dissuade webmasters from gaming search engines at the expense of the reader’s experience. White hat SEO is also known as ethical SEO.
24. Discover your competitors’ keywords using tools like SEMrush, Spyfu and Ahrefs (my favorite). Then, test each keyword using all the methods listed below; you will discover that some of them are either useless or too competitive. Incorporate the winners into your content creation and outreach strategy.
Advertisers make use of numerous techniques for effective SEO results and some of them are targeted at developing a database of loyal audience which is a bright part of ethical SEO. White hat SEO is the implementation of strategies, and optimization techniques and tactics that completely follow search engine ethics, but focus on human audience as opposed to search engine movements.
Site owners recognized the value of a high ranking and visibility in search engine results, creating an opportunity for both white hat and black hat SEO practitioners. According to industry analyst Danny Sullivan, the phrase “search engine optimization” probably came into use in 1997. Sullivan credits Bruce Clay as one of the first people to popularize the term. On May 2, 2007, Jason Gambert attempted to trademark the term SEO by convincing the Trademark Office in Arizona that SEO is a “process” involving manipulation of keywords and not a “marketing service.”
117. Verify that your website is properly optimized by running a free SEO audit. There are several online services, both free and paid, which can run dozens of tests and show you potential problems. SEO SiteCheckup allows you to run a free test each day, for example.
139. Some plug-ins can slow down your site a lot, making it lose its good rankings. Fortunately, P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) will show you which plug-ins aren’t coded in an efficient manner.
About.com guides run their own social media communities, send email newsletters and manage forums. Even though About.com is the overall brand, they encourage each niche to thrive on its own and in completely unique ways.
Demand Media would argue that they didn’t engage in black hat practices, yet Google penalized them anyway. Matt Cutts, the head of Google’s Webspam team, has said that over 500 changes happen within the Google algorithm every 12 months. Cutts is aggressively tweaking the algorithm to differentiate high-quality content from non-quality content.
16. Don’t buy an aged domain for your new website without checking it thoroughly. People have created fake PR9 domains by redirecting them to real PR9 sites, and then they have sold them for large amounts of money, for example. A good domain has many links from industry-related, highly authoritative websites pointing to it.
Go through and update your old content, but do so wisely. For example, you could make a static URL for an events page without specifying the year, and update that page yearly. In other words, start an archives page on the original URL instead of simply deleting old content. This will also give the original URL more authority by strengthening its domain every year.
worth reading, really a great source for link building. Dead link alternate trick is enjoyable. i didn’t blog commenting from last year, someone told me Google get it spam. but now i understand. What you think if we you brand name in anchor text, is it effective and how google get it. and one more question, Is guest posting valid, as i run a gadgets news blog. i used to make guest post. but now i feel dead link alternate is good for building quality links.